|Contract Type:||Permanent Contract|
|Salary or training bursary:|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||23/09/2021 - 17:00|
Ready to take your experience in children's book publishing to a new role with a major publisher? Explore the role below and apply today...
Pan Macmillan is one of the largest general book publishers in the UK, with imprints including Macmillan, Mantle, Pan, Picador, Bluebird, Macmillan Children's Books and Macmillan Digital Audio. Pan Macmillan is part of the worldwide Macmillan Publishers International Ltd.
Macmillan Children's Books (MCB) are looking for a talent and highly organised Editor with experience in children's picture book publishing to fill a permanent full-time role.
- Be responsible for the editing and production of a list of titles on the Picture Books list
- Work as part of a busy and dynamic team
- Manage individual book budgets
- Monitor title progress
- Liaise with authors, illustrators and agents
- Maintain strong working relationships with every individual involved in the editorial and production process
- Reading submissions
- Creating and presenting new ideas
- Working on texts and layouts with authors and illustrators
- Checking proofs
- Writing blurb and sales copy
- Attending departmental meetings
- Maintaining schedules and liaising with the production department on your titles
Knowledge, skills, experience
- Have experience of editorial project management
- Have experience of working closely with Design and Production
- Be highly organised, with the ability to prioritise and manage workflow
- Possess exceptional written skills
- Have an impeccable eye for detail and strong content, copy editing and proof-reading skills
- Be able to execute and manage tight deadlines
- Have a broad understanding of the production process; scheduling and critical path
- Have strong numeracy skills and be able to manage invoices and budget effectively for each title
- Possess effective communication skills
- Be self-motivated and highly flexible – happy to move between projects as priorities dictate and manage multiple projects effectively
- Demonstrate an inclusive approach
- Demonstrate knowledge of the contemporary children’s book market
- A good knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel etc) and publishing management systems (e.g. Biblio)
- Familiarity with the specific requirements of full-colour children’s picture-book publishing
- Have used or are familiar with Google Workspace (Gmail/google applications)
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.