Trainee Researcher – Unscripted
This one is for TV enthusiasts on the hunt for a bargain… If you’re looking to gain some of the most sought-after skills in the broadcast industry, then you’ll have no qualms about applying for this coveted year-long traineeship in Cardiff…
The output of the BBC Unscripted team in Cardiff is rich and varied. It ranges from hard-hitting, high-end pieces such as the forthcoming Jill Dando documentary, to popular crime series such as Crimewatch Roadshow, The Fugitives and Raids, as well as more light-hearted daytime series such as Bargain Hunt. They also cover consumer affairs on series such as X-Ray for regional TV.
The team in Wales are offering a unique opportunity for a Trainee Researcher to join their team for twelve months and work across a variety of programmes, both regional and network. Throughout the year, you will gain experience across at least two long-running productions whilst gaining a range of research techniques that will provide an invaluable foundation for a career in television.
On the job training will be provided on productions to ensure that you have an excellent ground knowledge of archive research training, media management and camera assisting. The trainee will even gain coveted experience filming on location as well as office-based work (e.g. archive resourcing and clearance). You will also receive on-going mentor support from experienced researchers on the team.
This is the ideal opportunity for a TV enthusiast to emerge with all the necessary skills to immediately be taken on in a junior researcher position. So, if you have an interest in factual content and are eager to learn more about the world of media, this is the perfect chance to launch your career with one of the most renowned broadcasters.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Full understanding of the television production process across a range of programme types and platforms
- A full insight into how the BBC Unscripted Cardiff team operates
- Research techniques and reporting skills
- Technical skills including data wrangling and basic camera operating/desktop editing
- Administrative and editorial skills
- Understanding of what goes into the perfect pitch
- How to generate engaging ideas for a range of audiences
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrable experience or interest in the media
- Particular knowledge of TV production and the types of network programming made by the BBC Unscripted department
- Passionate about pursuing a career in TV development
- Enthusiasm for factual content including documentaries
- Team player with the ability to take initiative
- Creative and bursting with engaging ideas
- General understanding of the audiences for shows such as the Crimewatch Roadshow and The Fugitives
- Upload your CV and cover letter as one document (applications without a tailored cover letter will NOT be considered)
- This traineeship is only open to candidates from a BAME background
- Do not contact the company directly