An incredible opportunity for a talented, dedicated and creative individual looking to pursue a career as a sports journalist on one of the most prestigious training newspapers in the country
The Times is one of the most respected daily newspapers in the UK. First published in 1785, the paper has a long history of thought-provoking and ground-breaking articles.
The newspaper is offering a brilliant opportunity for a sharp and creative candidate to join their award-winning team as a Sports Intern for six weeks this summer.
The team is looking for candidates with originality, talent, commitment, a love of journalism and a passion for several sports. The successful candidate will gain valuable on-the-job training from some of the UK’s most outstanding sports journalists and writers.
You must be passionate about journalism and sport and have some work experience as a writer. This could include working on your student newspaper or work experience at a local newspaper or sports website.
- Story research
- Shadowing senior sports writers and editors
- Writing copy for the newspaper and digital platforms
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- How to write concise accurate copy and bring sporting events to life
- How to pitch story ideas
- How to research and source stories and use data
- How to write for print and digital platforms
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- A strong interest in several sports
- Work experience on a newspaper or digital news site (this could include a student or local newspaper)
- Upload the following as ONE document:
- A cover letter that explains why you want to intern at The Times (Max 500 words) (applications without a tailored cover letter will NOT be considered)
- Your CV
- Three examples of your published work. Please include full articles, not hyperlinks
- This traineeship is only open to candidates from a BAME or lower socio-economic background
- Do not contact the company directly