Are you eager to learn and looking for a pathway into the publishing industry? Do you believe that diversity and representation should be commonplace in this field? If so, don’t miss out on this brilliant entry level opportunity with an amazing not-for-profit…
Moon Lane Ink (MLI) is a Community Interest Company that has grown out of Tales on Moon Lane, a multi-award winning children’s bookshop in London. They believe that the lack of diversity in UK publishing is leading to a singular dominant voice in the cultural conversation. Through a wide range of initiatives, they aim to bridge the gap between the UK’s children and the UK’s publishing industry. Their mission is to raise equality in children’s books: equality of access, representation and roles in the publishing industry.
As one of their initiatives, Moon Lane Ink CIC has opened Moon Lane Books, a specialist children’s bookshop. Moon Lane Books works with emerging and well-established authors and illustrators to reflect London’s diverse population, celebrating and promoting work by authors from under-represented groups through an integrated book range, festivals and author events.
Due to the generous funding of The Arts Council England and National Lottery, MLI have been able to create a paid six-month Publishing Internship. The internship will provide the successful applicant with work experience in both book selling and the publishing industry. The successful candidate would also play an essential role in developing MLI’s social media and in supporting other initiatives within the company.
They are looking for certain qualities but do not expect you to fit them perfectly. They are more interested in whether you can imagine yourself growing into, and benefitting from, the role.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- You have a long-term passion to have a career in publishing or bookselling
- You have a ‘can-do’ attitude
- You understand where your love of reading and books comes from, and the impact that it has had on your own life
- You are driven by a need for greater diversity in publishing
- You’re adaptable – no two days at Moon Lane Ink CIC are the same
- You’re a ‘people person’ – they are customer-focused, ever-welcoming and striving to take down barriers between people and books
- You do not need a degree or previous experience in the industry
- Follow this link to apply
- In your application, state that you heard about this vacancy through the Creative Access website
PLEASE NOTE* If you make the shortlist, MLI will pay for your travel to the interview. If needed, they will also support the successful candidate in finding accommodation through the ‘Spare Room’ scheme.