Do you have a passion for running theatre projects for young people and want to engage local communities in projects, workshops and events? Then this can be the internship that kickstarts your career…
The Almeida is a London-based theatre company with a national and international reputation for producing work of the highest standard – achieving recognition through consistent critical acclaim, increasing national reach, international profile, full houses and breadth of audiences. The company is led by Artistic Director Rupert Goold and Executive Director Denise Wood, and under Rupert’s artistic leadership the heart of the Almeida’s vision is to make bold work which challenges and questions theatre, and the world we live in; bringing together exciting artists to interrogate, provoke, inspire and entertain audiences through new writing and reinvigorated classics.
The Almeida’s Participation programme gives young people opportunities to create theatre with some of the most exciting artists working in the industry today. They run regular sessions for young people interested in producing, directing, reviewing and performing, as well as organising individual projects that respond to particular topics which connect the Almeida with local organisations and young people.
The Almeida has an exciting opportunity for an intern to join their Participation Department for a ten month period. The successful candidate will gain extensive experience in this well-renowned theatre, and work alongside the full team across a range of Participation projects, including working with the theatre’s Young Company, Schools workshops and Community projects.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Understanding of how a busy theatre organisation operates
- How to develop your workshop delivery skills
- Taking an assistant facilitator or assistant director role across multiple projects
- Learn about planning and evaluation for both devising and script based work with young people
- Support on recruitment for community / young people’s projects and act as first point of contact for participants
- Attend regular department planning and evaluation meetings
- How to provide admin support across the theatre’s programme of work, compiling resources and answering general enquiries via phone and email
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Must be able to demonstrate an enthusiasm for theatre
- Have an interest in developing skills in facilitating/directing young people and participatory projects
- Friendly and approachable
- A strong passion for work created for, by and with young people
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Please upload your CV and cover letter as one document (applications without a tailored cover letter will NOT be accepted)
- This traineeship is only open to candidates from a black, Asian or non-white ethnic minority background
- Please do not contact the company directly