Trainee Marketing and Publicity Assistant
If you’ve always got your head in a book, this opportunity will open your eyes to a world of publishing, marketing and campaigning – everything that it takes to create a book, behind the words on the page…
Profile Books is one of the UK’s leading independent book publishers, publishing across a range of genres. Their lists include bestselling and acclaimed authors such as Alan Bennett, Mary Beard, David Olusoga, Sarah Perry and Esi Edugyan.
The team at Profile are looking for an assistant to support the campaigns team across the busy autumn season. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic, hard-working individual with creative ideas who wants to learn from a nimble team and who can contribute their own ideas.
The office environment is fast-paced, but friendly and the culture is open and collaborative. Someone with a strong visual sense and a genuine interest in advertising, marketing and an affinity for our publishing would be ideal. Three quarters of the Marketing and Publicity Assistant’s time will be spent on marketing, with the remaining time on publicity.
This is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic individual with an interest in pursuing a career in publishing to gain an unrivalled insight and develop their skills.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Crafting and executing eye-catching social media campaigns for their lead titles, with input from the marketing team
- Researching and recruiting social media influencers to help spread the word about our books
- Writing copy for marketing materials, bound proofs and campaign graphics
- Helping the team with campaign ideas and pitches
- Filling in administration work on our lead title campaigns, with guidance from managers
- Undertaking and organising mailings to bookshops, overseas agents, UK key accounts, and influencers
- Carrying out market research for their titles
- Developing content marketing contributions
- Taking meeting minutes when required
- Helping to keep key partners, authors and agents informed of their marketing and publicity activity
- Contributing news items and blog content to our websites
- Organising author travel and updating author schedules
- Undertaking various other administration duties as required in order to keep the department running smoothly, including but not limited to scheduling meetings, photocopying, printing, liaising with suppliers and so on
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Organisational effectiveness and responsiveness
- Ability to prioritise
- A can-do attitude
- Must enjoy writing copy
- Ability to carry out standard Office skills like MailMerge and spreadsheet filtering and sorting
- Social media fluency – Twitter and Instagram are their primary channels
- Photoshop / Indesign an advantage but not essential
- Upload your CV and cover letter as one document (applications without a tailored cover letter will NOT be accepted)
- This internship is only open to candidates from a BAME or lower socio-economic background
- Do not contact the company directly
This internship is part-funded by the Mo Siewcharran Memorial Fund, set up by John Seaton in memory of his wife, Mo, the former Marketing & Communications Director at Nielson Books.