1843 Journalism Intern
An exceptional opportunity for an aspiring journalist with a flair for researching and writing stories to join this prestigious publication…
1843 is The Economist’s bi-monthly sister publication, named for the year The Economist was founded. It focuses on ideas, culture and lifestyle.
The publication is on the look out for an aspiring journalist to join their team for a coveted six-month paid internship. They are looking for a natural reporter who can research in depth with a good sense of how to tell stories with individuals at the heart. This brilliant role will include every aspect of production, with opportunities to pitch and write stories, promote content through their social-media channels and carry out administrative tasks.
The successful applicant will be a talented, analytical writer who is interested in questioning assumptions (their own and others) and able to take a sideways look at the world to think about it differently.
So, if you are brimming with ideas and keen to learn about every aspect of magazine journalism, now is your chance to apply for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- How every aspect of magazine journalism works, from the commissioning and editing process, to design and photography
- The fundamentals of digital publishing, from online articles to film and audio
- How to pitch, research and write stories
- The basics of picture research
- How to fact-check and proofread
- How to promote content through social-media channels
- How to ensure the smooth running of the office through efficient administrative support
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- A analytical writer with a natural flair for reporting
- Ability to carry out in-depth research when writing articles
- An interest in narrative journalism, people-focused storytelling and first-person writing
- A voracious reader with a keen eye for detail
- A keen and quick learner
- Brimming with ideas and keen to gain experience of every aspect of magazine journalism
- The following parts must all be completed and saved as one Word document and uploaded via your Creative Access account on the website:
1. Your CV
2. Your Cover Letter (applications without a tailored cover letter will NOT be considered)
3. A written article that could appear on the 1843 website. Please click here for more details
- This traineeship is only open to candidates from a BAME or lower socio-economic background
- Do not contact the company directly
Please note start date can be flexible for the right candidate