Editorial Assistant – Fiction
The publisher that brought you An American Marriage and The Sellout is looking for an ambitious and enthusiastic book lover to join their fiction department…Could this be you?
Oneworld Publications publish around 70 new books a year across a range of non-fiction, literary fiction, crime and YA/children, including two Man Booker winners, A Brief History of Seven Killings/The Sellout, and this year’s Women’s Prize for Fiction, An American Marriage.
They currently have a new entry level position in the fiction department for an Editorial Assistant to work across their crime and children’s lists. Reporting to the two editors in charge of these lists, you will provide support for all aspects of the author-publisher relationship, from pre-contract to finished book. This role offers a fantastic opportunity to join a dynamic publishing house, and develop editorial skills to a high standard, making it an ideal step for a career in fiction publishing.
- Reviewing manuscript submissions and preparing reader’s reports
- Writing promotional and marketing copy for titles
- Writing book club guides
- Monitoring deadlines in consultation with the production department
- Reviewing edited manuscripts
- Writing draft cover briefs and researching competing titles
- Soliciting endorsements for new titles
- Communicating with authors and agents on a regular basis
- Maintaining bibliographic and in-house databases
- Working with other members of the Oneworld team on editorial, design, production, sales, marketing, and publicity issues as required.
- General admin duties as needed
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Bright, self-motivated individual
- Ability to take initiative
- Strong communication skills
- Strong organisational capabilities
- A flair for writing excellent copy
- An interest in fiction
- Send your CV and tailored cover letter to Juliet Mabey via this email
- In your application, state that you heard about this vacancy through the Creative Access website