Apprentice Facilities Technician
Let’s get technical! Check out this fantastic apprenticeship opportunity to train as a technician with this renowned theatre and maintain the venue to the public.
Situated within London’s cultural hub on the South Bank, the National Theatre aims to bring an eclectic mix of new and classic plays to a diverse audience. They constantly strive to research and develop new work and offer a range of learning and public engagement programmes, which tour and broadcast in the UK and internationally.
They have a fantastic opportunity for an Apprentice Facilities Technician. This individual will be responsible for all aspects of building maintenance including the concrete structure, air ventilation plant, plumbing and electrical systems to name a few. These systems contribute to the safety and comfort of their visitors and staff.
Purpose of the Apprenticeship
The apprenticeship is designed to produce practical skills to a high standard. The Apprentice Facilities Technician will contribute towards keeping the building looking welcoming and safe as well as maintaining services, so they are always available to visitors and staff.
The Apprentice Facilities Technician will learn highly transferrable skills alongside gaining a knowledge of venue specific skills. These skills will open up not just a world of theatre maintenance, but the maintenance and upkeep of all busy venues open to the public.
This is a training position; they are not looking for experience in building maintenance or of professional theatre but for someone who has practical skills which can be applied to this apprenticeship. You will need to show them that you enjoy working with your hands and can work well in a team and will be committed to completing this apprenticeship.
This position is not open to those who already have a Level 4 qualification, such as a degree, foundation degree or any post graduate qualification.
The apprenticeship will be split between the National Theatre and the Building Crafts College in Stratford (East London).
At the Building Crafts College:
- You will study for a Level 2 Diploma plus NVQ in Building Maintenance, Multi-trade Repair and Refurbishment Operations
- Time at college will be in 2 or 3-week blocks
- You can view the course details here Building Maintenance Apprenticeship
- You will be supported in passing functional skills in English, Maths and ICT if you need to take them
At the NT.
Under the direction of NT Staff, you will learn how to:
- Use the software based maintenance system for reporting and checking tasks
- Check the auditoriums for damaged seats and carpets and making repairs when necessary
- Make glazing repairs
- Make concrete repairs
- Move partitions/walls and make them good. This may include plastering, tiling, painting and decorating.
- Furniture assembly and repairs
- Door furniture assembly and repairs
- Fitting and hanging doors
- Fire door inspections (leading to an on-line qualification)
- General floor repairs including internal hard flooring
- Inspection and repairs to cracked or uneven paving
- New paving installations
- Inspection and repairs to flat roofs
- Inspection and repairs to drains
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Be 18 years old or older by 2nd September 2019
- Be curious about the world, and keen to learn new things
- Be able to work well within a team
- Be good at problem solving
- Understand how important it is to work within Health and Safety rules
- Have a helpful, positive and flexible approach and attitude
- Be punctual and good at managing your own workload
- Be able to show them that you are interested in how things work
- Follow this link to apply
- In your application, state that you heard about this vacancy through the Creative Access website