2021 Project Creative Leads
Coventry has won the bid to be UK City of Culture 2021! It’s an exciting time to be part of it, so why not check out this brilliant opportunity with the city’s largest producing theatre?
The Belgrade Theatre is the largest producing Theatre in Coventry, England’s 11th most populous city and the second largest conurbation in the Midlands, and acts as the city and sub-region’s commercial and producing theatre. They create theatre because it enriches their community and can fundamentally change peoples’ lives for the better.
They currently have a unique and exciting opportunity for two mid-career Creative Leaders to work alongside the Theatre’s Deputy Artistic Director to plan, produce and make a diverse programme of work for Coventry’s City of Culture year in 2021.
The project aims to reflect the city’s largest ethnic minority communities in its senior workforce and leadership and as such directors, theatre makers and/or producers from diverse backgrounds, such as African, Caribbean or South Asian heritage, are especially encouraged to apply.
- Plan and produce the Belgrade’s in house work during 2021, including planning and delivery of the Theatre’s whole programme, artistic policy and vision, outreach and engagement activity as well as their artists’ professional development programme
- Designing programmes of work, commissioning writers and other creatives and establishing partnerships/co-productions
- Diversify the sector by supporting entry and progression routes for young people from diverse backgrounds and BAME artists and BAME led companies
- Generate a critical mass of diverse young theatre makers, producers and performers that are ready to be taken forward to the next stage
- Work with the Executive Director/Producer to ensure that all produced productions and projects are fulfilled within the agreed budget
- Articulate the project and specific productions to Board, Press, Media, Funders, Staff, Sponsors as required
- Working with Belgrade Evaluation Team to establish evaluation criteria and methods with City of Culture
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- Passionate about making, programming and promoting diverse work that will engage with the entire range of communities across Coventry
- Experience of working with diverse theatre practitioners and communities in a way that is sensitive to the political, religious and social issues related to diversity
- An emerging leader in their field who is genuinely interested in working collaboratively
- A reasonable track record of professional (i.e paid) quality artistic directorship and directing and seeking an opportunity to change up a gear, to further develop their career
- A desire to work in a large producing regional theatre
- Have empathy, understanding and a commitment to audience engagement and outreach activities
- Good negotiation skills and consensus building skills
- Proactive, hard-working individuals, with excellent communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Able to keep calm under pressure and speak with passion and authority to achieve the best outcomes
- Have an interest in Arts Council and Coventry City Council’s strategic priorities and an ability to contribute to growing the Belgrade’s contribution to them
- Follow this link to apply
- Deadline is 9am, 23rd April 2019
- In your application, state that you heard about this vacancy through the Creative Access website