|Salary or training bursary:|
|Company:||Orange Tree Theatre|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||22/01/2021 - 23:59|
Calling all writers and aspiring Dramaturgs! Don't miss this unique opportunity with a powerhouse independent theatre...
The Orange Tree Theatre is an award-winning, independent theatre. Recognised as a powerhouse that creates high-quality productions of new and rediscovered plays, they entertain 70,000 people across the UK every year. They believe in the power of dramatic stories to entertain, thrill and challenge us; plays that enrich our lives by enhancing our understanding of ourselves and each other.
The Orange Tree Theatre is looking for three emerging writers and one emerging dramaturg to join the OT's Writers Collective. The Collective is an opportunity for a group of writers and a dramaturg to share skills, techniques and obsessions, and to fire up conversations and collaborations. It is run by the Orange Tree’s Literary Associate. In the past the programme has included masterclasses from practitioners including Paulette Randall, Martin Crimp and Ned Bennett.
- Writers will have the opportunity to develop an idea for a new play, with the support of the Orange Tree’s creative team
- The dramaturg will have the opportunity to support these artists in working on their ideas, and shadow other development work at the Orange Tree where possible
- Sessions will be on Monday evenings, monthly, held via Zoom, from March to December
- Other opportunities will be arranged according to the availabilities of the group
Who is it for?
- This project is aimed at writers who have written at least one play that has been heard by an audience
- It does not matter where that play was heard: it might have had a rehearsed reading, gone on the radio, or been produced on the fringe
- The programme aims to equip the participants with the confidence and skills to make their next steps in the industry, to start to write a new play, and to support them to overcome the barriers that they face
- It is not an ‘introduction to playwriting’ programme, and aims to put together a group of writers at a similar stage in their career so that the programme may also function as a network of peer support
- OT is looking to hear from aspiring dramaturgs for this year’s Writers Collective to work with the writers on the programme, and to grow their skills as a developer of new work for the theatre
- The dramaturg will support the writers in the group to develop their ideas, and work with the Literary Associate on other projects at the theatre as appropriate
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate an interest in supporting artists, but do not need any experience in ‘dramaturgy’
- They may have been an assistant director on a play, or helped to put on a spoken word night above a pub
- In this instance, OTis thinking about dramaturgy as the craft of supporting artists to make their work with safety, authenticity, clarity and excellence
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.