|Industry:||Museums & Galleries|
|Contract Type:||Permanent Contract|
|Salary or training bursary:|
|Company:||Watts Gallery - Artists' Village|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||28/09/2021 - 17:00|
Visitor Services Manager
Would you like to join a leading gallery & arts hub in Surrey, using your people skills to use while overseeing a volunteer programme?
Watts Gallery - Artists' Village is a unique Arts & Crafts gem nestled in the Surrey Hills. Part of the Watts Gallery Trust, an independent charity established in 1904 to manage the legacy of George Frederic Watts OM RA, one of the leading artists of the nineteenth century, the trust set up the UK's first single-artist museum.
Watts Gallery are recruiting a Visitor Services Manager to their team in Surrey. In this role, you'll be responsible for the important volunteer programme, engaging over 200 volunteers including the management of the volunteer stewards' rota. The Visitor Services Manager works with Marketing, Front of House and Estates to ensure excellent visitor services. The working days for this role are Sunday - Thursday.
- Plan, manage and deliver the Duty Manager Rota ensuring Duty Managers receive necessary and regular training and can fulfil their roles confidently
- Ensure that Front of House are briefed daily, ensuring awareness of all daily public events for communication with visitors
- Ensure Volunteer Stewards receive an excellent welcome and briefing before their shifts
- Act as the main point of contact for volunteers, developing the volunteer programmes as informed by best practice in the cultural sector
- Oversee the recruitment, induction, training and appraisal of volunteers, augmenting and diversifying the current team through new recruitment strategies and community partnerships
- Develop the volunteer roles and ensure the rota runs smoothly with adequate cover in place
- Work closely with the Front of House team to ensure a consistent and enjoyable visitor experience, contributing to training as required
- Work with the Head of Operations to maximise physical and intellectual access on site, supporting visitors with additional needs
- Evaluate and develop signage and outdoor interpretation working with the Head of Operations, Marketing, Estates and Curatorial departments
- Work with the Learning Team to seamlessly plan and execute public events; overseeing health & safety, risk assessments, signage, parking, wet weather plans, outdoor lighting, ticketing, queuing and catering
- Ensure that local residents are kept up to date with major public events that might affect them
- Manage the visitor services team budget effectively
- Working with the Marketing/Front of House teams to regularly evaluate visitor experience, keeping accurate qualitative and quantitative data, and contribute to the annual report, funding reports and applications
Knowledge, skills, experience
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate with a wide range of people
- Experience of working in a museum/gallery/heritage sector
- Experience of working with volunteers
- Experience of working in a public facing role
- Strong IT skills
- Relevant higher education qualification e.g. MA Museums Studies, Heritage Management or comparable experience
- High Standard of written English and Numeracy
- Knowledge or qualification in First Aid, Health & Safety or willingness to undertake training
- A knowledge of the complexities and importance of visitor services in the heritage sector
- Training or mentoring experience
- Experience of line managing staff
- Driving license
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.