|Salary or training bursary:|
6 Months |
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||31/01/2021 - 23:59|
Trainee Data Journalist
Calling all journalism enthusiasts! Are you looking to begin a career in data journalism? Then take a look at this brilliant 6-month traineeship...
The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. They deliver their information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services. What ties them together is the objectivity of their opinion, the originality of their insight and their advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
The Economist is looking for a Trainee Data Journalist to join their team. They do not require any specific previous work history or technical abilities for the role, however, the criteria below may allow candidates with the following attributes to do more work earlier in their tenure and to progress faster onto more advanced projects.
What you will learn
- To work as a principal contributor to their online Daily Chart, providing data and writing text for 1-3 articles per week
- To write for the print Graphic Detail page, and possibly for other print sections as well
- To provide assistance with statistical research to beat journalists as needed
Knowledge, skills, experience
- An understanding of Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets
- An understanding of R or Python programming languages
- Statistical modelling in natural, social or data science
- Knowledge of geopolitics, economics and current affairs
- Print journalism or other non-academic writing for a broad audience
- Log in to your Creative Access account or register today to apply for this opportunity
- Upload your CV, cover letter and a portfolio of any relevant previous work as ONE document (applications without a tailored cover letter will NOT be accepted)
- Once submitted, applications are final