|Contract Type:||Permanent Contract|
|Salary or training bursary:|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||25/01/2021 - 23:59|
Patch Reporter, Manchester Evening News (x2)
Do you want to work in one of the country's most vibrant newsrooms covering the best city in the world? Don't miss this exciting role based in Manchester...
Reach plc is home to the UK and Ireland’s most iconic digital platforms, magazines and newspapers. From the Mirror, Daily Express and OK!, to their regional titles such as the Liverpool Echo, BirminghamLive and of course, the Manchester Evening News (plus lots more). Their brands and the stories they cover are as varied as their people. With a monthly readership of 47 million people, Reach is the largest commercial publisher in the UK. At Reach, not only will you feel better understood, you will also feel you understand other people better too.
Reach is looking for two Patch Reporters to join their Machester Evening News team. They are looking for great journalists with a passion for news, excellent storytelling skills and a deep understanding of how to make content engaging.
- You will across a designated patch where you will build up contracts, and source stories and news which is important to the readers within the local community.
- You will be responsible for covering live breaking news as it happens
- You will be tasked with understanding how to identify the stories that people want to read
- Be an elegant storyteller, able to write in a clear and accurate way
- Provide quality content to tight deadlines
- Have a sophisticated understanding of how to use social media to spot stories
- Understanding the need to build an audience round your content to help it reach the people it is created for
- Understanding the value of analytics to inform content decisions
- Maintaining the highest personal standards of professionalism and integrity at all times within the framework of current legislation and Reach PLC’s editorial and company policies
- Maintaining a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and IPSO code
Knowledge, skills, experience
- You will have a Reach PLC or equivalent journalist qualification (or relevant time-served experience).
- A strong storyteller with a thorough understanding of how to create engaging content
- A skilled user of social media to engage audiences, source ideas and share content
- Great communication skills and the ability to build a strong network of contacts
- Excellent writing skills
- A good understanding of SEO or willingness to learn
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- A team player, willing to work flexibly
- Lots of energy, enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Full driving licence
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.