|Salary or training bursary:|
initial 3 months |
|Eligibility:||Positive Action Scheme|
|Apply by:||22/10/2021 - 17:00|
Looking to get your foot in the door of the publishing industry? Check out this exciting opportunity to join the independent publisher behind the Introducing Graphic Guide series!
Icon Books an independent publisher of intelligent, popular non-fiction based - in normal times - near Caledonian Road station in north London. Their Introducing Graphic Guide series thrives alongside a list of books in science, history, politics, sport, language, humour and much else besides.
As an intern, you’ll be working with staff across sales, marketing, publicity, rights and (occasionally) editorial, and there may be opportunities for candidates with particular skills to use and improve them by working closely with the relevant members of staff. While much of the job will be administrative, it is an opportunity to learn about book publishing in general and the day-to-day operations of an independent non-fiction publisher in particular.
The position will be for three 7-hour days per week, for an initial three month period, paid at £11.50 per hour, starting as soon as possible. The publisher is currently operating a mix of remote and office working, but Icon Books would prefer the applicant to be in London and thus able to come to the office when they do return to working there more fully.
What you'll learn
- Office administration including responding to email enquiries and managing incoming post (when back in the office)
- Supporting the Marketing team by organising books to be sent to the media and researching social media influencers
- Liaise with staff across sales, marketing, publicity, rights and (occasionally) editorial
- There may also be an opportunity for candidates with particular skills to use and improve them by working closely with the relevant members of staff
- Support the Editorial team by researching information for commissions by editors
- Help prepare for sales conferences and book fairs
- Supporting Sales Operations by sending proofs and finished copies to Sales agents around the world
- Supporting the Rights team on rights deals, filing contracts & more
- Assist with PR research and any other PR admin where necessary
Knowledge, skills, experience
- This job may involve significant work with spreadsheets, so being comfortable with Excel and happy around figures will be a significant advantage
- Demonstrable organisational skills are an absolute must
- A keen interest in Icon Books and the books they publish
- Close attention to detail
- Log in to your Creative Access account or register today to apply for this opportunity
- Upload your CV and cover letter as ONE document (applications without a tailored cover letter will NOT be accepted)
- Once submitted, you can no longer amend your application, so proof-read carefully
- Do not contact the company directly
This opportunity is only open to individuals from a group which is under-represented in the creative industries. This includes, but is not limited to, Black, Asian and ethnically diverse candidates, people with disabilities and individuals from lower socioeconomic backgrounds