|Salary or training bursary:|
|Company:||The New York Times|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||30/09/2020 - 23:00|
Home Screen Editor
Do you possess a broad and deep interest in the news? Then check out this new role from a leading global media organisation…
The New York Times Company is a global media organisation dedicated to enhancing society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news and information. The Company is known globally for excellence in its journalism, and innovation in its print and digital storytelling and its business model. Read more about the organization's mission at nytco.com.
The New York Times is hiring a staff editor to produce the home screens and push notifications from the London newsroom.
- Mastering the production systems and workflows for their desktop and mobile home screens
- Producing the live home screen in a group setting under the direction of news editors
- Writing lively, precise summaries, headlines and captions, consistent with Times style
- Handling fast-moving breaking-news presentations
- Applying sound judgment to the news
- Writing and fact-checking push notifications, and sending them using a variety of tools
- Using data and tools to try to improve presentations and increase reader engagement
- Communicating professionally with colleagues from across many departments and newsrooms
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- Able to carry out changes to the layout and order of the home screens quickly and cleanly, while showing creativity and initiative in presentation and language
- Have a knack for writing accurate, concise push notifications, sometimes under a tight deadline
- Work well under pressure, set priorities among many tasks and keep up with the demands of multiple editors
- Possess a broad, deep interest in the news
- Comfortable assessing matters of language, accuracy and fairness in stories
- Some sensitivity to design and user experience and exhibit technical aptitude
- Quick, adaptable learner who can pick up new tools and change habits
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.