|Salary or training bursary:|
|FTC - 1 year|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||31/08/2020 - 12:00|
Do you have experience in management and excellent interpersonal skills? If so, apply now to join an organisation empowering people through theatre...
Cardboard Citizens makes theatre for social change. They empower people with lived experience of homelessness and strive to change society’s perceptions of homeless people. They make theatre for homeless and ex-homeless people and for general audiences. Often their theatre is participatory, informed by the Theatre of the Oppressed methodology. They are the UK’s leading practitioners of this approach. This type of theatre can spark change in individuals and society. They believe that theatre, whether experienced as audience or participant, can be a space for better understanding ourselves. They create work as a catalyst for debate, to influence opinion and stimulate change.
Cardboard Citizens is looking for an experienced, motivated, and highly organised General Manager to join its team. The ideal candidate would be a proactive individual with excellent people skills, and an eye for detail and problem solving. The General Manager is responsible for the smooth and efficient running of the Cardboard Citizens building and IT infrastructure, for the health, safety and security of all staff, Members and visitors and for maximising income through hires and events. Cardboard Citizens is run by a small team and this is very much a hands-on role helping to establish Cardboard Citizens as a leading arts organisation working with and for people affected by homelessness.
- Manage and maintain the organisations IT infrastructure ensuring that the staff team can work efficiently both on, and off site
- Manage and support the HR function and processes of the organisation, ensuring records are maintained and up to date
- Manage and lead on all recruitment and induction undertaken at Cardboard Citizens ensuring it adheres to best practice alongside organisation goals and values
- Generate staff and freelance contracts, issue employment letters and all contract related paperwork
- Ensure that organisational policies and procedures are fit for purpose and comply with relevant statutory requirements
- Be responsible for the organisation’s insurance ensuring that it is fit for purpose and good value.
- Act as the organisation’s data protection officer
- Be responsible for the safe operation of the premises and its activities and ensure compliance with statutory regulations and requirements for Health and Safety, Licensing and insurance. To be responsible for the health and safety and security of the buildings staff , visitors and contractors
- Manage and oversee all office and building functions, and to oversee the review and supply of supplier contracts ensuring both value for money and ethical and environmental standards are achieved
- Manage all building maintenance and to take out a varied range of reactive and preventative maintenance for the organisation
- Lead on and manage the refurbishment of any part of the Cardboard Citizens building and venue
- Liaise with the landlord and be responsible for the effective management of the lease and any premises related contracts
- Keep an inventory of all equipment and to manage and be responsible for the organisations’ storage and both physical and digital archive
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining the venue as a performance space for the use of Cardboard Citizens and external companies
Finance/ Income Generation
- Manage, monitor and reconcile the core costs budget for the organisation
- Ensure the timely payment of invoices and chase debtors where required
- Support the Finance Manager with the input of financial data into the companies accounting software
- Generate unrestricted income by selling and managing hire of rehearsal space
- Minute take at all trustee meetings (finance, board) and away days
- Support servicing of the Arts Council England NPO funding and gathering and processing data.
- Lead on and ensure strong, clear and consistent communication between Cardboard Citizens staff, volunteers and those under its employment
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE
- High-level inter-personal, verbal and written communications skills
- A "can-do" attitude, ability to solve problems and a willingness to take a full and proactive approach to respond to the needs of the organisation.
- Excellent communication / custom service skills and the ability to deal effectively with a wide range of people
- Two years’ experience of management in an organisation.
- Excellent IT skills, theatre production and technical skills desirable
- Experience of the operational management and statutory requirements (Health & Safety etc) of a theatre / rehearsal space or similar public venue.
- Experience of managing employees / freelance / contractors
- Knowledge of relevant organisational and HR policies
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.