|Contract Type:||Permanent Contract|
|Salary or training bursary:|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||31/01/2021 - 23:59|
Do you have a passion for human rights? Do you believe in the power of storytelling? Don’t miss this new and exciting opportunity to build public understanding and support for human rights…
EachOther is a UK-focussed charity that uses independent journalism, storytelling and filmmaking to put the human into human rights. The digital content they produce is grounded in the lived experience of ordinary people affected by human rights issues. They involve them in the process of developing their stories, rather than talking for or over them. Theirs are the voices EachOther platform and amplify to their audience of over a million viewers each year. In this way, they hope to grow public support for human rights here in the UK.
EachOther is now looking for a new Editor to support people whose rights are threatened to tell their own stories and act as custodian of their ethical editorial process. You will have an eye for detail and a commitment to helping Eachother implement their new strategy in keeping with their core values.
- Manage all editorial content published onto EachOther’s website, with a view to publishing an average of one piece a day, through both your own writing and commissioned work
- Lead their broader editorial strategy across news, features and social, including both long-term planning and specific campaigns
- Directly manage their Journalist / Journalism Intern as well as freelancers covering shifts and part-time sub-editors, plus collaborating with the wider creative team and their volunteers
- Lead on their social media output alongside their Creative Director, to ensure their content is shared in the most engaging and innovative ways and reaches new audiences
- Source and produce original stories: reacting to relevant breaking news, moving on stories already in the news to help set the human rights agenda
- Plan and perform investigations in priority areas, using a range of investigative journalism techniques
- Commission and edit insightful and engaging pieces from their contributors and staff team, helping them to develop their storytelling skills with supportive feedback;
- Use data from Google Analytics and their various social media channels to assess and understand their audiences and reach
- Help to develop their tone and voice as a brand, as well as developing EachOther’s community
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- Experience as a journalist
- Experience of curating a website
- Experience of running social media accounts
- Ability to develop and maintain internal and external working relationships and to be a positive member of the team.
- Ability to write clearly, concisely and compellingly for a variety of audiences on a wide range of issues, and to understand what makes a good story
- Ability to think and work creatively
- Ability to manage competing priorities and work independently to meet deadlines and solve problems
- Ability to take a reflective and evaluative approach to work
- The ability for empathy and care when dealing with vulnerable people and stories
- Commitment to and understanding of EachOther’s strategy and values
- Experience as an Editor
- Experience of commissioning stories
- Experience of using WordPress
- Experience of Adobe CC (particularly Photoshop)
- Understanding of and experience using the methods and techniques of investigative journalism
- Experience of line management
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.