|Salary or training bursary:|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||01/12/2020 - 23:59|
Director of Academic Publishing, Bloomsbury Academic Division
Are you a visionary leader with in-depth knowledge and experience of Academic Publishing? Then don't miss this exciting opportunity...
Bloomsbury Publishing Plc is an award-winning, innovative and global independent publisher of fiction, non-fiction, children’s education, specialist trade, academic and professional publishing with offices in London, Oxford, New York, Sydney and New Delhi.
Bloomsbury is seeking a visionary, energetic and engaging leader to direct their award-winning and highly successful Academic publishing in the Arts, Humanities and Social Science. You’ll have fiscal responsibility for growing the print and digital content output across a vast product portfolio of scholarly, teaching and learning and academic trade titles. The division includes the prestigious imprints of Bloomsbury Academic, Methuen Drama, Arden Shakespeare, Hart, Bloomsbury Visual Arts, I.B Tauris, Zed, BFI and T&T Clark. You’ll put in place strategies to drive the profitable growth of all lists, keep pace with industry trends and ensure the achievement of key book and digital resource objectives and targets.
- Have responsibility for an international team of over 80 commissioning staff located in both UK and US
- Work as part of a close team with the Managing Director for Bloomsbury Digital Resources, the Director of Research and Open Access along with colleagues in production, sales, marketing and finance
- Play a major role in overseeing the successful integration of ongoing strategic company acquisitions
- Prepare an in-depth business plan for the expansion of the Academic publishing
- Assess and approve all new strategic publishing initiatives
- Responsible for the performance of all Academic lists
- Ensure the consistent high quality and success of the publishing programme; direct and control the editorial work and resources; oversight of all publishing meeting decisions
- Work collaboratively with Bloomsbury Digital Resources to align content acquisition strategies and editorial resources for maximum digital growth
- Manage the Academic editorial team to ensure control of direct overhead, high levels of productivity, commitment and morale, ensuring suitable training and development programmes are in place to ensure the retention, progression, diversity and inclusion of staff
- Provide publishing guidance across the Academic division to keep staff and colleagues aware of developments within the industry
- Represent the Company as required in negotiations with publishing partners, content suppliers and licensors, customers, suppliers and other key contacts
- Work as part of a wider project team to ensure the successful integration of strategic company acquisitions
- Responsibility for post-acquisition growth plans
Skills, knowledge, experience
- Visionary leadership with the ability to motivate a workforce
- At least ten years' senior level experience of divisional responsibility and management of people and resources
- In depth knowledge of international markets and changing business environments. A broad knowledge of the industry and a minimum of 5 years' experience within academic publishing
- Successful track record in a publishing or content role across a range of digital and print formats
- Strong communication, negotiation, presentation and PR skills
- Understanding of a multinational business operation
- A very high level of commercial awareness
- Excellent analytical and complex problem-solving skills
- Training in a management discipline or a professional qualification is preferable
- In depth knowledge of international markets, digital publishing and changing business environments
- Experience of mergers and acquisitions and integrating companies into larger businesses is highly desirable
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.