|Contract Type:||Permanent Contract|
|Salary or training bursary:|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||21/04/2021 - 12:00|
Passionate about giving budding writers the tools they need to succeed? This part-time role should grab your attention...
Founded in 1899, Curtis Brown has a long and illustrious history as a world-renowned literary agency representing many of the twentieth century’s most famous literary figures including AA Milne, Daphne du Maurier, Samuel Beckett, Elizabeth Bowen and John Steinbeck. Today Curtis Brown’s rich heritage sits at the heart of an innovative, industry-leading, international literary and talent agency. Since its inception in 1997, the Theatre, Film and Television department of Curtis Brown has built a roster of award-winning writers, directors and creatives working in the film and television industry in the UK and around the world.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Courses Manager (part-time) at Curtis Brown Creative, the UK’s only agent-led creative writing school. This role centres on the day-to-day management and administration of the online and London-based courses. You will be a part of the Courses Management team (currently five people).
CBC envisage this role as two-and-one-half days per week (provisionally worked Wednesday to Friday, tbc), but there may be some flexibility for a candidate seeking a role with more working days per week, subject to discussion (please indicate your preferences in your application). Regular hours will be 9.30 to 6pm, but the Courses Manager will occasionally be required to work later to host evening events.
- Course administration – responsibility, with the Senior Manager, for student selection, course scheduling, quality control, course logistics and the procuring of guest speakers. Problem-solving and trouble-shooting; devising and maintaining systems.
- Student, alumni and customer care
- Contractors – sourcing, hiring and managing tutors and freelance editors, with the Senior Manager.
- Internal relations – assisting in the management of CBC’s relationships with the Curtis Brown and C&W literary agents
- Online courses and educational platform – joint responsibility for the smooth running of the online courses, including course set-up, course moderation (with the Forum Moderator) and participation in platform/website development projects (working with our developers)
- Finance/Accounts – responsibility for ensuring student fees are paid, paying contractors and communications with Management Accounts
- Website copy – writing website copy relating to the courses, ensuring brand values
- New projects – supporting the development and delivery of new courses and projects
- Session hosting – occasionally acting as host for evening sessions/classes/webinars for the London and online courses
- Internal meetings/presentations/training – running internal meetings and delivering presentations and staff training as required
Knowledge, skills, experience
- Experience of working for a publisher or literary agency or creative writing course provider, or in an administrative role in a higher education institution or a public arts organisation
- Confident, clear and sensitive communication skills
- Excellent writing skills – and, ideally, excellent editorial skills
- Strong administrative skills and attention to detail in your work
- Familiarity with Microsoft products (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- The ability to work under pressure and with interruptions
- Commercial/Business sense/acumen
- Experience of using social media and website CMS And are:
- A creative thinker
- Innovative and energetic
- An avid reader with good knowledge of the publishing industry
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic, able to work effectively from home
- A confident, warm personality – a person who inspires trust
- Someone who is enthusiastic to contribute positively to the small team and the broader group (The Curtis Brown Group)
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.