|Salary or training bursary:|
|Company:||Penguin Random House|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||02/12/2020 - 23:59|
Commissioning Editor, Ladybird Trade
Are you interested in creating books for young children to help them understand and explore the world? Can you get into the head of a parent or carer and come up with ideas for books that they won’t be able to resist buying? Then don't miss this exciting opportunity...
Penguin Random House Children's are the UK’s no.1 children’s publisher, home to Puffin and Ladybird, and some of the most recognised entertainment brands and authors. Their brands include Peppa Pig, Peter Rabbit, The Snowman, Tom Fletcher, Roald Dahl, Malorie Blackman, Jeff Kinney and Philip Pullman to name but a few. They also launch talented new rising stars, including Karen McManus, Nathan Bryan, Dapo Adeola, Sam Copeland, Humza Ashrad and Scarlett Curtis.
Penguin Random House Children’s are looking for a Commissioning Editor to join its Ladybird Trade team. The Trade team create titles that sell to the general consumer in the UK and worldwide, sitting alongside the Ladybird Licensing team, with preschool brands such as Peppa Pig, while the Ladybird Education team publishes for global educational markets. In this role, you’d work on inclusive books for children aged 0-7 including picture books, baby and toddler books and non-fiction.
- Come up with new ideas and oversee all stages of the book’s life
- Writing and editing, costing, and presenting and pitching new titles to a number of internal departments, such as the sales team and foreign rights teams
Skills, knowledge, experience
- Evidence that you understand narrative structure and how to present stories or information to children in a compelling way (direct experience of writing books isn’t necessary)
- Someone who can bring fresh, commercial ideas for children’s books and run projects smoothly
- A willingness to flex your communication style
- An understanding that projects are a team effort, not a solo mission
- An entrepreneurial attitude and a passion to create books that will help young children learn about the world and themselves
- Have rich and varied knowledge of the target audience of 0–7 years
- A keen interest in the wider world of children’s media and toys would be beneficial
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.