|Salary or training bursary:|
6 Months |
|Eligibility:||Positive Action Scheme|
|Apply by:||14/03/2021 - 23:59|
Publicity and Marketing Assistant
Do you have the ability to work to tight deadlines, write social media copy and confidently communicate with partners and colleagues? Don’t miss this six-month internship with this leading independent publisher…
Based in Manchester, Comma Press is a not-for-profit independent publishing house specialising in literary short fiction from around the world. It is committed to a spirit of risk-taking and aims to put the short story at the heart of contemporary narrative culture. They publish collections by new and established authors, interdisciplinary collaborations between authors and experts, and translation commissions devised to identify cutting-edge (often marginalised) voices from across the world.
The team at Comma Press are on the hunt for someone to join their thriving team for a six-month paid internship. They are seeking an energetic and organised Publicity and Marketing Assistant with an interest in developing creative and innovative ways of connecting with readers, media and influencers. Working with a small, close-knit team, the successful candidate would gain insight into all aspects of the publishing process, from commissioning through copy editing and proofreading to marketing, publicity, rights and sales.
What you will learn
- Work closely with the Engagement Manager (and Publicist) to deliver tailored publicity and marketing campaigns, carrying out title-specific research and making direct contact with journalists, event organisers and authors
- Generating new online content for Comma’s social media accounts, website and blog, developing writing, communication and digital skills
- Help Comma to grow audiences for their writer development programme and build their list of ticket sponsors for large-scale events addressing regional inequality
- Expanding and updating media databases and mailing lists
- Proofreading and copy-editing publicity and marketing materials, and forthcoming titles
- How to write press releases and social media materials
- The candidate will be assigned a line manager during their placement, and additional support and guidance would be provided by senior members of staff (with over 20 years of experience within the industry)
- Attending training workshops delivered by Comma Press for Northern Fiction Alliance publishers, to help map out a future career path
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Highly organised and a motivated multi-tasker
- Great written communication skills with the ability to write engaging copy
- Ability to work to deadlines
- A confident communicator – comfortable liaising with internal and external colleagues and partners
- Digitally savvy, with Microsoft Office programs, and social media platforms (particularly Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
- A passion for reading (especially in short fiction)
This internship is part-funded by the Mo Siewcharran Memorial Fund, set up by John Seaton in memory of his wife, Mo, the former Marketing & Communications Director at Neilsen Books.
Please note the start date is flexible for the right candidate.
This opportunity is only open to candidates who are Black, Asian and ethnically diverse.
- Log in to your Creative Access account or register today to apply for this opportunity
- Upload your CV and cover letter as one document (applications without a tailored cover letter will NOT be accepted)
- Please address your cover letter to Becca Parkinson
Do not contact the company directly. Please email any queries about this role to Creative Access at this address: [email protected]