|Industry:||Museums & Galleries|
|Contract Type:||Permanent Contract|
|Salary or training bursary:|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||20/04/2021 - 23:59|
Director of Commercial Enterprises
Are you passionate about galleries? Want to work for one in a senior-level role? Well then keep reading...
For over a century the Whitechapel Gallery has premiered world-class artists from modern masters such as Pablo Picasso, Jackson Pollock, Mark Rothko, and Frida Kahlo to contemporaries such as Sophie Calle, Lucian Freud, Zarina Bhimji, and William Kentridge.
The Gallery is a touchstone for contemporary art internationally, plays a central role in London’s cultural landscape, and is pivotal to the continued growth of the world’s most vibrant contemporary art quarter.
The Director of Commercial Enterprises will oversee a renowned programme of artists’ editions; a critically acclaimed publishing house with global distribution; art courses; hire of spaces in a listed building; and the Koenig Bookshop and Townsend Restaurant franchisees.
- Commission, production and delivery of artists’ limited editions
- Managing on-line and in-house sales opportunities, mail order and stock management
- Managing presence at UK and international Art Fairs
- Collaborating with the Allied Editions consortium
- Supporting the Head of Editions in managing their team of two
- Development, production and delivery of the Documents of Contemporary Art publication series and ad hoc publications
- Contract negotiation with co-publishers
- Managing relations with national and international distributors
- Stock management, movements & reprints; including exhibition catalogues
- Identifying and managing additional sales opportunities
- Managing existing venue hire clients & attracting new ones
- Negotiating hire of spaces alongside the public programming
- Upselling venue hire adjuncts including equipment, catering and staffing
- Mentoring and pastoral care of Ventures staff; supporting continuous personal and professional development
- Schedule and oversee departmental and one-to-one meetings
- Interview new personnel and conduct performance reviews in line with organisational guidelines, and with HR deal with any other personnel matters arising
- Actively foster and contribute to a positive working environment
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- Experience of and passion for the visual arts
- An understanding of the challenges delivering a successful commercial operation within a not-for-profit organisation, where the aims of the organisation must be sensitively upheld and strengthened through all offerings and revenue streams
- A proven track record in sales and marketing or other commercial activity with specific profit and loss responsibility
- Proven budget management skills
- Knowledge of e-commerce
- Strong supplier management and negotiation skills
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit and appetite
- Demonstrable experience of managing and developing a team
- Strong communication skills to inspire and inform
- The integrity, diplomacy, and professional skills to work effectively on cross-team initiatives
- Commercial experience within the Museums, galleries, heritage or culture sector
- Understanding of the contemporary art market
- An understanding of publishing
- Knowledge of retail merchandise production
- Contract management experience
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.