|Salary or training bursary:|
6 months |
|Eligibility:||Positive Action Scheme|
|Apply by:||29/09/2021 - 17:00|
|Start date:||Mid October onwards|
Intern, 1843 magazine
Calling all aspiring journalists! Want the opportunity to pitch and write stories, as well as help with administrative tasks? Then this is the internship for you...
The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. They deliver their information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services. What ties them together is the objectivity of their opinion, the originality of their insight and their advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
They are looking for an aspiring journalist to join them for six months on 1843 magazine The Economist’s sister publication, named for the year The Economist was founded. The successful applicant will be a talented writer, a keen and quick learner, analytical, interested in questioning assumptions (their own and others) and able to take a sideways look at the world. The internship will include every aspect of production. There will be opportunities to pitch and write stories, as well as administrative tasks.
What you will learn
- Write and schedule social-media posts
- Picture research
- Update 1843’slists of archive stories
- Assist in awards applications
- Check and maintain the 1843 email account
- Answer phones
- Distribute post
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- You will be brimming with ideas and keen to learn about every aspect of journalism, from written content to art direction, design, photography, social media, film and audio
- You will be a voracious reader with a keen eye for detail and a good sense of how to tell stories with individuals at the heart
- You will love writing
- Log in to your Creative Access account or register today to apply for this opportunity
- Upload your CV and cover letter and written piece (please see below) as one document (applications without a tailored cover letter will not be accepted)
- As part of your application, please write a piece that could be published online by 1843. The story can be about anything, but should include your own reporting and at least one interview you have done with someone you don’t know. The piece can be up to 1,000 words long.
- Please also write some social-media copy to promote your piece. This should include four tweets (each shorter than 140 characters) and one Instagram post. The 1843 social-media accounts will give you a sense of their style and tone, but please feel free to be creative.
- Once submitted, you can no longer amend your application, so proof-read carefully
- Do not contact the company directly
- Please email any queries about this role to Creative Access at this address: [email protected]
This opportunity is only open to individuals from a group that is under-represented in the creative industries. This includes, but is not limited to, Black, Asian and ethnically diverse candidates, people with disabilities and individuals from lower socioeconomic backgrounds.