|Industry:||Museums & Galleries|
|Contract Type:||Permanent Contract|
|Salary or training bursary:|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||24/10/2021 - 17:00|
Head of Commercial
Brand new museum role! Do you have good knowledge of publishing and Ecommerce? Then don't miss this exciting opportunity...
The Design Museum is located in London and is the world’s leading museum devoted to architecture and design. It makes the impact of design visible and is the only place in the UK where the design industry, education and the public can come together to change the way people think about themselves and the future.
The Head of Commercial is a key member of the Management team and responsible for ensuring the Museum’s visitor experience team provide exemplary customer service to visitors, all the while maximising the profitability of the Design Museum’s shops, publishing programme and catering.
- Work strategically with all teams/stakeholders to ensure that the Museum’s vision is delivered, taking particular responsibility for visitor engagement
- Lead, motivate and develop the team to deliver a high performing museum operation
- Deliver income and margins in line with or exceeding expectations across all areas of responsibility, working to increase net profit through commercial opportunities
- Prepare and deliver the annual departmental strategic plan, supporting the museum’s business plan
- Prepare annual budgets and reforecasts. Monitor and report on KPIs, taking appropriate corrective action where necessary
- Collaborate with Communications team to develop and implement a marketing strategy for Retail, Ecommerce and Publishing
- Identify and advise on systems to improve profitability, activity management, reporting and operations
- Work with the Enterprise committee, providing reports on performance and organising committee meetings
- Contribute to the management of the Museum’s risk register
- Set and review standards for visitor facing teams and lead by example when implementing these to ensure a high-quality visitor experience
- Work proactively within all teams to ensure that appropriate business continuity plans are in place in the event of a major incident
- Work across the Museum to identify opportunities to operationally improve the visitor experience
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- Knowledge of Ecommerce
- Good knowledge of publishing
- Proven track record in retail management with specific profit and loss responsibility
- Experience of managing a visitor experience team at a senior level
- Experience of creating and implementing rostering systems using resourcing models to best fit business needs
- Experience of leading and managing a team, including team development, performance management, recruitment, and training
- Experience of producing accurate and meaningful management information, including reports, strategy documents and operational procedures
- Excellent financial, business management and planning skills with proven budget management responsibility
- Strong supplier management and negotiation skills
- Excellent communicator – able to communicate with a broad range of people to inspire and inform
- Collaborative approach to problem solving, working across an organisation
- Strong entrepreneurial drive and appetite
- Excellent written and report writing skills
- Computer literate with excellent Excel skills and experience of using databases, EPOS, and stock control systems
- Commercial experience within the museums, galleries, heritage, or culture sector
- Understanding and knowledge of contemporary design
- Experience of using CRM systems
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.