|Contract Type:||Permanent Contract|
|Salary or training bursary:|
|Company:||Royal Society of Literature|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||08/07/2021 - 23:59|
Get ready to extend the reach of literature to people of all backgrounds! Join The Royal Society of Literature as a Communications Manager...
The Royal Society of Literature is one of the oldest learned societies in the UK, and Britain’s charity for the advancement of literature. Founded in 1820 ‘to excite literary talent and reward literary merit’, they continue to meet these ideals, particularly with the launch of the RSL 200 five-year festival celebrating the best writing past, present and future, across the UK.
They are seeking an organised and motivated Communications Manager, committed to extending the reach of literature to people of all backgrounds and experiences and across the UK. You will be leading on the development of a new website and refresh of the brand in 2021. Reporting to the Director, you will set out a new Digital Strategy, overseeing the RSL’s communications and audience development. You will collect and analyse data to read and respond to our current audiences, and grow new audiences for our public events programmes, increase Membership, drive donations, and increase income generation in line with the organisation's aims and charitable objectives.
- Effectively communicate and promote all aspects of the RSL’s work with the support of the wider team including Events, Membership, Outreach and Awards and Prizes. Devise communications campaigns clearly establishing target audiences
- Identify trends in RSL engagement (from Membership sales to website page visits) to oversee the development and implementation of campaigns extending RSL reach
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders including partners, venues, including reciprocal communications links with peer literature and wider arts organisations
- Maintain and develop the RSL’s online presence through managing the website to ensure this represents all aspects of the organisation’s work and is accessible
- Manage the RSL’s social media accounts, engaging with their audiences to increase reach, interaction, and awareness
- Create and distribute regular email newsletters, keeping the organisation’s mailing database up to date, as well as growing the audience and ensuring it is GDPR compliant
- Work with the RSL’s Literary Advisor, freelance designer, General Manager and Director to produce the yearly RSL Reviewmagazine, and quarterly Our Mutual Friend newspaper. Including commissioning of work and acquisition of content and photographs
- Produce materials for Events and Outreach including pamphlets of writing and programmes with the Events and Outreach Manager and Programmes Assistant
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- A minimum of three years’ experience of managing websites, social media channels and press, preferably within an arts or culture context
- A high level of competence in working with CMS (currently WordPress), Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud, audio and video editing software and CRM databases
- Ability to communicate – in person and in writing – with a wide range of stakeholders including writers and other artists, Trustees, and sponsors
- Proven success in raising the profile of an organisation; demonstrable experience of audience development
- Experience of creating dynamic content for a diverse range of audiences across multiple digital and print channels
- Exceptional attention to detail in project management and written communications
- Independent and highly organised in managing a complex workload and meeting numerous deadlines
- Demonstrable success developing and/or implementing meaningful and relevant measures to evaluate success in audience growth, generating insight and analysing data and feedback in order to inform decision-making and improve audience engagement
- A commitment to equality of opportunity, accessibility, and inclusion in literary culture of people from all backgrounds
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.