|Contract Type:||Permanent Contract|
|Salary or training bursary:|
|Company:||Orion Publishing Group|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||22/10/2021 - 17:00|
Editorial Director/ Publishing Director, Weidenfeld & Nicolson
Have a genuine passion for serious non-fiction? Strong commercial awareness? Then don't miss this exciting opportunity in the publishing industry...
Weidenfeld & Nicolson, part of the Orion Publishing Group, is one of the most prestigious and dynamic literary imprints in British and international publishing, home to a wide range of literary fiction and non-fiction, modern classics, prizewinning debuts and worldwide bestsellers. Their passion for extraordinary writing dates back to their two founders, Lord Weidenfeld and Nigel Nicolson, who were responsible for introducing some of the twentieth-century’s most remarkable voices – Vladimir Nabokov, Isaiah Berlin, Eric Hobsbawm, and Nicolson’s own parents Sir Harold Nicolson and Vita Sackville-West – to a wide readership.
They are looking for an Editorial Director/Publishing Director. It is an exciting time for Weidenfeld & Nicolson and as they seek to reignite the spirit of the early years of the imprint, they are renewing their focus on the serious non-fiction list. This role can be based at their London office, or at any of their new regional offices in Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield or Bristol, with a blend of in-office (3 days) and homeworking (2 days) per week.
- Reporting to the imprint’s Publisher, you will take on responsibility for the strategic growth of a specialist non-fiction list, expanding and strengthening their publishing in the core areas of popular science, current affairs, smart thinking, tech, geopolitics, economics and soft business
- Working at a senior level within their team of highly motivated editors, you will commission c.12 titles a year and will deliver sales growth, profitability and bestsellers
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- Strategic, collaborative and ambitious with strong commercial awareness and a genuine passion for serious non-fiction and the core acquisition categories highlighted above
- Comfortable working with a wide range of authors including intellectuals, scholars and journalists and will have strong networking and entrepreneurial skills
- An extensive list of contacts – across the publishing industry, media and academia
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.