|Contract Type:||Fixed Term Contract|
|Salary or training bursary:|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||03/08/2021 - 17:00|
Howard Assembly Room Technician
Have you got theatre experience? Take a look at what we have here...
Opera North, established in 1978, is the award-winning national opera company in the north of England with a strong reputation for innovation and engagement.
With headquarters in Leeds, the Company receives funding to tour across the country. The touring programme (in Yorkshire, the North West, the North East and the East Midlands) places them at the heart of our communities where they are unique in providing this service; no other single performing arts organisation offers the quality, quantity and breadth of opera and musical theatre provided on a regular basis. The Company also tours to other parts of the UK and internationally on an occasional basis.
The Company delivers an eclectic programme of opera performances, orchestral concerts, commissions, collaborations, cross art form work and education projects, engaging with approximately 230,000 people of all ages each year.
The Howard Assembly Room (HAR) technician is a key member of the HAR team, and is responsible for operating sound, lighting and video equipment for the wide range of events that occur in the venue.
- Setting up and operating technical equipment in accordance to the Sound, Lighting and Video requirements for concerts, rehearsals, films, theatrical and corporate events within the venue
- Meet requests as specified in Technical Riders and liaise and work with touring Production Managers, Lighting Designers and Sound Engineers when required on show days
- Rig and focus lighting according to designs
- Operate the lighting desk creating states for concerts and plotting cues for theatrical events
- Set up and operate amplified sound using in house audio system, supplemented with external hires when necessary
- Rig, focus and operate in house and/or hired video projection equipment.
- Rig and operate equipment for live streaming events when required
- Be the main point of contact for event managers and the front of house team when acting as duty technician for concerts and events
- Build staging and set out seating for events alongside other crew members as required
- Contribute to setting up daily technical requirements and venue support
- Participate in the maintenance and inspection procedures of venue equipment
- Contribute to the training and development of the Technical Apprentice
- Deputise for the HAR Technical Manager in their absence
- Supervise shifts of casual technicians and crew for get ins, events and get outs as directed by the HAR Technical Manager
- Lead on the technical delivery of projects as directed by the HAR Technical Manager
- To participate in training as deemed necessary by Opera North
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- Degree level in related subject, such as technical theatre, music/sound technology
- Knowledge of the performance/live events industry and working practices
- Operation of a wide range of audio equipment to a high standard in a live music and theatre setting
- Operation of a wide range of lighting equipment to a high standard in a live music and theatre setting
- Operation of a wide range of video equipment, including for showing films and projection mapping
- An awareness of equality, diversity and inclusion, and how it relates to the role
- Able and willing to work at height
- Confidence in manual handling tasks, including stage builds, setting out seating, rigging and setting up equipment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills with meticulous attention to detail and consistent high standards
- Able to work well with colleagues when working in a busy, demanding environment. Also able to work on initiative and anticipate tasks when self-managing
- A good problem solver, keen to acquire new skills but knows when to read the manual
- Calm and co-operative team player with a ‘can do’ attitude
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.