|Salary or training bursary:|
|Company:||Exeter Northcott Theatre|
|Eligibility:||Open to all|
|Apply by:||29/03/2021 - 12:00|
Trustees and Chair/Co-Chair
Do you have a passion for theatre and live performance? Would you like to help drive strategic change? Then take a look at these opportunities within a dynamic theatre…
Exeter Northcott Theatre is a thriving key regional centre for mid-scale theatre and performing arts, with a programme of drama, dance, music, opera, musicals, family shows and comedy that attracts an annual audience of around 100,000 people. They are currently embarking upon a process of transformation – from ‘traditional’ regional theatre to dynamic, inclusive, cultural organisation, working across multiple sites and spaces, nurturing creativity within the communities they serve, and contributing to the cultural renaissance of Exeter.
Exeter Northcott Theatre is looking for both Trustees and a Chair/Co-Chair. They want individuals who are passionate about the pivotal role that performing arts organisations can play within regional cities. The theatre is seeking to bring new perspectives and diverse lived experience to their leadership, and welcome applications from individuals with no previous board or trustee experience.
- Ensure that the theatre complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation, and pursues its stated objects.
- Ensure the effective and efficient administration of the charity, including maintaining proper financial control and using its resources in pursuance of its objects.
- Appoint the Artistic Director & Chief Executive and monitor their performance.
- Together with the Artistic Director & Chief Executive, create a firm strategic direction for the organisation, jointly setting overall vision, mission and values, defining strategic objectives and agreeing targets, and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- Maintain and ensure effective Board performance.
- Safeguard the reputation of the theatre.
- Protect, manage and adequately insure the property and funds of the charity.
- Approve and monitor the implementation of internal policies (which include Health & Safety, Equality & Diversity, and Grievance & Disciplinary procedures) and ensure that risk assessments for all aspects of the business are undertaken/updated effectively.
- Be actively involved in charting the future direction of the theatre, using your specific skills, knowledge or experience to help the Executive reach sound decisions.
- Lead the Board of Exeter Northcott Theatre, working closely with the Artistic Director & Chief Executive to set the policies and strategic direction of the company and monitor progress towards delivering against agreed targets.
- Ensure that the highest standards of corporate governance and ethical/ professional behaviour are maintained and, as appropriate, introduced across the organisation to meet changing circumstances and good custom and practice.
- Ensure collaborative and effective relationships exist between the Board and the theatre’s Executive and Senior Management Team.
- Act as an ambassador, networker and spokesperson for the theatre and its role in a growing a thriving city and region, assisting in developing relationships with key stakeholders such as Arts Council England, University of Exeter and Exeter City Council.
- With the Board, you will ensure that suitable financial controls and systems for managing risk are in place and operating effectively.
- Conduct annual reviews with each Board member, to ensure that they are enabled to contribute as effectively as possible to the governance of the company.
- Conduct annual appraisals of the Artistic Director & Chief Executive and provide regular feedback on their performance and any concerns raised by Board members.
- Chair Board meetings (5-6 per annum) and, with the Artistic Director & Chief Executive, ensure that all matters requiring Board input and/or scrutiny are brought to the attention of the Board in a timely manner, and that Board members are positively encouraged to contribute to debate and decision-making within appropriate parameters.
- Support the Executive between meetings.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- Passion for theatre and live performance.
- Strategic thinker.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Enthusiasm for the role a transformed Northcott can play in the development of Exeter as a creative and inclusive city at the heart of a culturally thriving region.
- Proven leadership skills, knowledge and experience for Chair/Co-Chair role.
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
Please note that the company reserves the right to withdraw this listing prior to the official closing date, therefore we recommend getting your applications in early.