|Salary or training bursary:|
12 months |
|Location:||London or Edinburgh|
|Eligibility:||Positive Action Scheme|
|Apply by:||27/05/2021 - 23:59|
Sales & Campaigns Intern
Do you always have your nose in a book? Would you love to learn about Sales, Publicity & Marketing in publishing? Don't miss this opportunity...
Canongate Books is one of the UK’s leading independent publishers. Since 1973 they’ve worked to unearth and amplify the most vital, exciting voices they can find, wherever they come from, and they’ve published all kinds of books – thoughtful, upsetting, gripping, beatific, vulgar, chaste, unrepentant, life-changing… Along the way there have been landmarks of fiction – including Alasdair Gray’s masterpiece Lanark, and Yann Martel’s Life of Pi, the best-ever-selling Booker winner – and non-fiction too – from Barack Obama’s memoir Dreams From My Father to Samin Nosrat’s new cookery classic Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat.
They are looking for an enthusiastic and hard-working Sales and Campaigns Intern. Reporting to the Head of International Sales, the successful candidate will work to support both busy Sales and Campaigns departments and learn how these teams work within a publishing house. You do not need to have worked in publishing before and can be based in either of their offices, in Edinburgh or London.
What you will learn
- An understanding of how a commercial book publisher operates – particularly the different roles played by both the Sales team, and the Publicity and Marketing teams (known together as Campaigns)
- How to produce marketing materials, social media content and how to update websites
- How a publisher goes about selling books into other countries – attending presentations and negotiations in due course
- How to use business systems such as Biblio, Sage, Slack, website CMS, retailer and social media self-service platforms
- What it’s like to work as part of a dynamic team, managing stakeholders (including authors, agents, booksellers and inhouse colleagues), a busy workload and multiple demands on your time
Knowledge, Skills, Experience
- A passionate reader
- Exceptional organisational skills
- Able to respond flexibly to a busy workload and multiple deadlines
- Confident communication skills, particular writing copy
- A team player
- Meticulous attention to detail
- IT skills such as a working knowledge of Office (especially Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Experience of using Adobe Suite (InDesign and Photoshop especially)
- Log in to your Creative Access account or register today to apply for this opportunity
- Upload your CV and cover letter as one document (applications without a tailored cover letter will NOT be accepted) and address to the 'Creative Access Recruitment Team'
- Please do not contact the company directly
- Please email any queries about this role to Creative Access at this address: [email protected]
This opportunity is only open to individuals from a group that is under-represented in the creative industries. This includes, but is not limited to, Black, Asian and ethnically diverse candidates, people with disabilities and individuals from lower socioeconomic backgrounds.